An affidavit filed in an Ontario lawsuit suggested Hockey Canada held a reserve fund to pay for uninsured liabilities, including sexual abuse claims.
Posted at 2:32 p.m.
This information is included in a July 2021 affidavit signed by Glen McCurdie, who was then vice-president of insurance and risk management at Hockey Canada, in connection with a lawsuit brought by an injured player in Ontario.
“Hockey Canada reserves a reserve in a separate account to pay for unsecured liabilities as they are incurred,” McCurdie’s affidavit reads. He goes on to say that “uninsured liabilities include potential claims for past sexual abuse”.
Hockey Canada did not immediately respond to an email from The Canadian Press seeking comment on McCurdie’s affidavit.
The national sports federation has been at the center of controversy since an alleged sexual assault case arose at a 2018 gala in London, Ont., involving eight unidentified players — including members of the junior team that year — and the settlement broke out in May. None of the allegations have been proven in court.
Scott Smith, the organization’s president and CEO, and outgoing CEO Tom Renney were questioned by parliamentarians at a meeting of the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage last month about the case and the source of settlement funds.
McCurdie, who retired in December, did not attend proceedings following his father’s death but was called by the committee for an upcoming round of meetings beginning next Tuesday.
Hockey Canada was stripped of federal funding due to its handling of the case and the settlement, while a number of companies put their orders on hold.
The organization released a carefully crafted open letter on Thursday containing a number of promises, including a commitment to reopen an independent investigation into the alleged assault.
“We know that our response has been relatively insufficient to the actions of some members of the 2018 National Junior Team, or even to end the culture of toxic behavior within our sport,” Hockey Canada wrote in its three-page letter. Thursday.
We are sincerely sorry.
Hockey Canada in an open letter
Smith, who succeeded Renney as CEO on 1uh July, confirmed last month before the Heritage Standing Committee that Hockey Canada has reported three sexual assault complaints in recent years, including the London incident, but would not discuss the other two.
He added that there have been up to two sexual misconduct complaints in each of the past five or six years.
Smith also told the committee that “12 or 13” of the team’s 19 players were interviewed prior to the initial, incomplete investigation that concluded in September 2020.
The alleged victim of the assault was seeking $3.55 million in damages from Hockey Canada, the Canadian Hockey League and Players Anonymous.
The lady’s attorney said in an email last week that his client, who did not participate in the initial investigation or speak to police, “will participate in Hockey Canada’s investigation and will not make any media comments at this time. »