6 seed Andy Murray won two sets to one (4-6, 6-2, 6-1) against Australian wild card Max Purcell and reached the quarter-finals of the Newport tournament on Wednesday in the very start evening at the International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum in Newport.
Murray, 52nd in the world at the ATP, will face Kazakh Alexander Bublik, seeded No. 3 in the quarter-finals of the Hall of Fame Open.
Andy Murray had beaten the American Sam Querrey without being worried by the score (6-2, 6-0), during the previous round of the Rhode-Icelandic tournament.
Purcell, 202nd player in the world at ATP, beat Frenchman Adrian Mannarino in three sets (6-3, 1-6, 7-5).
The other posters of the second round in Newport (ATP 250, International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum, grass, USD 665,330, results are displayed from newest to oldest):
- Felix Auger-Aliassime – Jason Murray Kubler: program Wednesday
- Peter Gojowczyk – John Isner: program Wednesday
- Benjamin Bonzi (N.5) – Christopher Eubanks (Q): 6-4, 7-6 
- Steve Johnson – Jiri Vesely (N.7): Johnson qualified (WO)
- Maxime Cressy (N.4) – Mitchell Krueger (Q): 6-3, 6-4
- Alexander Bublik – Jack Sock: 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
- James Duckworth (N.8) – Quentin Halys: 7-5, 3-6, 6-2